Bio 500E

Students may also satisfy the requirement through the completion of a summer biology-related experience. Students may complete this through The Wake Forest Research Fellowship (URECA) or through summer experiences with your advisor’s approval. See WHERE BA LINK? for more suggestions on where to find a summer internship outside of Wake Forest.

To obtain credit for this work, a student must speak with their Biology Advisor about their intention to apply for Bio500E. Importantly, the Bio500E form must be completed BEFORE the summer of research. This is important to ensure that the experience is suitable for meeting the Biology BIO 39X requirement.

Bio500E is a zero-credit course, but it successfully checks off the undergraduate experience requirement for the BA major. Because 500E does not confer any academic credit, it means that you may check off the undergraduate requirement for experiences for which you received a stipend. That is, any experience for which you got paid a stipend will not give you any academic credit but can satisfy the undergraduate research requirement.

You must fill out a Bio500E form to request 500E research credit. This Bio500E Equivalency Google form can be found here. And remember, you must complete this IN ADVANCE of your summer research experience to check off the requirement.

If you complete summer research, research abroad, or research away and satisfy your undergraduate research requirement via Bio500E, please note that you will have to take additional elective credits in biology to make up for the credits that you don’t get in research.